One of the major causes of things we think of as terrorism–or as similar to terrorism–is the terrorist holding a strong view about how things are;
- We are right and you are wrong
- God is on my side and you are an “evil doer.”
- I have the right to hit or kick or kill you.
On a less violent side;
- Democrats or Republicans or Yankee fans are all assholes
- My boss (or co-worker) is stupid.
The problem with all of these is that they keep us from seeing things as they really are. We ignore the intelligent idea a co-worker suggests, or the humanity of others–their basic goodness.
One solution to this is to “abandon false views.”
Which means that;
- We must recognize that our view is just our view, our thoughts are just thoughts which in reality are like the imprint of a bird in the sky.
- And then we let go of that view and see what we see.
Which is easy to say, but not totally easy to do. Sometimes everybody we know, and maybe the whole world is holding a particular view, but that doesn’t make it right.